In the Hiroshige engraving, the viewer can see the road along the Dzikkengava Canal, leading to the Shinto Sanctuary of Azuma-no Mori, in front of which there are the stone

In the Hiroshige engraving, the viewer can see the road along the Dzikkengava Canal, leading to the Shinto Sanctuary of Azuma-no Mori, in front of which there are the stone
The engraving offers a view of the snow-covered expanses of the Dzyumantsubo area, which means – One Hundred Thousand Tsubo. Earlier, here, on the left bank of the Sumidagawa River,
Hiroshige depicts the junction point of the three important Edo transport rivers, it is Nakagawa, Onagigawa and Sinkava. The Nakagawa River, an offshoot of the Tonegawa River, flowed into the
Hiroshige began his series “One hundred views of Edo” from the image of the snow-covered Nihonbashi bridge. The engraving shows the northern, so-called “fish bank”, between the Nihonbashi and Edobashi
In the early 1730s, during the reign of the eighth Shogun Yoshimune across Japan, famine raged, cholera spread, and more than a million people died. Bakufu ordered to organize a
Hiroshige depicts in this engraving the bridge “Sin-Ohashi”, which means “The New Great Bridge”. The Ohashi Bridge was built on the Sumidagawa River, it was not far from the Regokubasi
Hiroshige does not depict the monastery of Mokubodzi, although he is declared in the name of the leaf. The area of Godzensaikhat is only visible on the horizon. The main
The Sumidagawa River flows east from the Shanjiu Ohashi Bridge, and then turns south, where Ayasegawa flows into it. It is this section of the river that opens to the
The village of Horikiri-mura, which was located to the north of the island of Mukoejima, southwest of the Ayasegawa River, was known for plantations of irises and peonies. Its land
The engraving depicts a procession of samurai that moves along Sotobori – the Outer ditch surrounding the castle of the shogun. This was one of the grandiose events of Tokugawa
From the Kasumigaseki Upland – Mist of Mists, a beautiful view of the Bay of Edovan with whitening sails against the background of the morning sky. The outpost was built
Quay Nihondzutsumi, more precisely a dam, was built by order of Tokugawa Ieyasu in the first half of the XVII century. In its construction took part daimyo all provinces of
The history of the creation of the Ekoin monastery is associated with the fire in Edo in 1657. During the fire that raged two days, nearly 100,000 people died. It
In this series, Hiroshige often portrays crossings over rivers and canals, but does not often show their piers. Crossings played a big role as a means of communication between different
From the elevation of Meguro Tiegasaki, a beautiful view of the south-western part of Edo opens. From here you could see the river Megurogava, rice fields, and then the mountains
In the foreground is the shore of the Yamashita Quarter, inhabited by merchants and artisans. On the other side of the canal in the Sakurada area was the Hibiya area
At the beginning of the Edo period, a quarter of artisans was formed in the Kanda area near the merchants’ quarter. They shared by occupation, each quarter was called the
Shinagawa was the first station of the Tokaido road. The Nihonbashi bridge was considered the beginning of the path, the reference point of the distance, but for travelers traveling to
The Shinto shrine of Suamemedzin was built at 1205, it was considered the guardian of two adjoining areas – Janaka and Nippori. From it opened a magnificent view of the
In the south-west of the Esivara quarter, among the rice paddies was the shrine of Vasidzinja, in which the deity in the form of an eagle was worshiped. One of
Sanjusangendo – The Temple of Thirty-Three Kahn. Ken is a measure of length equal to 1.80 m. Between the pillars of the gallery of this temple there were thirty-three spans