Sylvester Fedorovich Shchedrin, the son of the professor of sculpture F. F. Shchedrin, a landscape painter, enrolled in the Academy of Fine Arts in 1800, was in it a student first of his uncle, Semen Fedorovich Shchedrin, and then, after his death, M. M. Ivanov, in 1808 received for his success in drawing from nature a small silver medal and in 1809 for painting a small gold medal. He graduated from the academic course in 1812 with the title of artist of the XIV class and with a large gold medal.
Having acquired together with the award the right to travel to foreign lands to the treasury, for political reasons, was not sent there until 1818. Since this year all his activities have been in Italy. He lived alternately in Rome, Naples and their environs. He died and is buried in Sorrento. The Bryullov brothers met with SF Shchedrin immediately after their arrival in Italy.