London Gallery owns the central part of the polyptych Madonna with Child and four angels, ordered by Masaccio in 1426 for the chapel in the church of Santa Maria del Carmine in Pisa. The decorative style, so widespread in the painting of the beginning of the 15th century, is alien to the works of Masaccio. In them, as in the works of his predecessor, Giotto, everything is subordinated to the perspective construction of space and the use of light and shade. Here and in the Madonna with the Child and the angels decorative elements recede into the background.
The interpretation of the image, as always with this
The deep folds of the cloak allow the artist to play with light and shade, which also creates a special visual effect. The baby eats black grapes – a symbol of the Eucharist. Immaculately painted angels surrounding the Madonna give the picture an additional emotional sound. (Saints Jerome and John the Baptist – the only leaf, written by Masaccio for a two-way triptych.