Circus Fernando was founded in 1875, and in 1890 it was renamed the Circus Medrano. It was the main entertainment for the artists of Monmart. Circus Fernando had a room on Boulevard Rochechouart.
In 1894 he was transformed into a theater. In addition to Auguste Renoir, regular artists such as Lautrec, Degas, and Sulfur were regular visitors to the circus, and they all painted the circus premises with their works of art.
The painting depicts Francis Vartenberg and her sister Angelina, members of the itinerant German acrobatic troupe. At such a young age, they, standing in the arena, receive applause from the audience after the performance.